What we do to keep you safe:
- Carry out an annual Fire Risk Assessment (FRA) on your block.
- Commission service, maintain and test on fire measures within your block such as fire alarms, detection, warning, emergency lighting, automatic ventilation systems, dry risers.
- Carry out bi-monthly block inspections.
- Use competent staff and contractors to undertake fire safety work in your home.
- Use third party accredited fire doors and door sets and ensure that certificated installers fit them.
- Liaise with the local fire and rescue service to ensure they are familiar with the block and its fire measures.
- Keep residents informed about fire safety and provide relevant and up-to-date safety information
Fire safety is everyone’s responsibility. You can help to keep you and your neighbours’ safe by:
- Keeping corridors clear.
- You, or your visitors, not propping fire doors open.
- Taking care when cooking.
- Never leaving unattended candles burning.
- Making sure cigarettes are properly extinguished.
- Not putting flammable materials in communal store cupboards.
- Not keeping bottled gas canisters inside your home.
- Taking responsibility for any rubbish and making sure that it is disposed of correctly.
- Making sure that mobility scooters, bicycles or other items are not left in corridors or anywhere that could prevent a safe exit from your flat.
- Checking that your front door has a closer arm on it and it is working correctly.
- Ensuring that you test your smoke alarm weekly.
- Ensuring that you know your escape routes in case of emergency – and making sure everyone who lives in your home knows them too.
- Reading the fire action notices in your block.
- Reporting any fire safety issues immediately to The Wrekin Housing Trust by calling 01925 217217.
- Booking a "safe and well" visit with the fire service.
Additional information can be found on the Fire Service website under the safety section: https://www.fireservice.co.uk/safety/
Last Updated : 03 April 2019
Return to top