As of end of April 2015, it has been introduced across the following Wrekin Housing Trust areas:
- Newcastle Under Lyme
It will 'go live' in Telford at the start of June 2015.
As it is being introduced slowly, it will only currently apply to single people, making a new claim to Job Seekers Allowance
Universal Credit will be a single monthly payment for people in or out of work, which merges together some of the benefits and tax credits that you might be getting now.
Put simply, if you receive any of the benefits listed below, you will get one regular payment into your bank account, rather than a single payment for each:
- Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance;
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance;
- Income Support;
- Child Tax Credit;
- Working Tax Credit;
- Housing Benefit.
Universal Credit will be paid in a different way to current benefits:
- It will be paid monthly into your bank account;
- If you get help with your rent, this will be included in your monthly payment – you'll then need to pay your rent direct to The Wrekin Housing Trust.
Universal Credit can be claimed online.
Although Universal Credit may not apply to you for some time, there are still lots of things you can do to prepare...
- Think about how you would budget your money monthly?
- Consider how you will access the internet?
- Think about how you will pay your rent?
- Do you need to open a new bank account ?
- Do you need help to deal with existing debts?
- Can you claim Pension Credit?
Why not try the Universal Credit Personal Planner ?
Last Updated : 19 January 2016
Return to top