Adaptations & Handy Person Service
What is an adaptation?
An adaptation is a change to your home that helps you to live more easily and independently on a day-to-day basis. We will fund minor adaptations costing up to £1,000 for all Group properties and will use our own in-house trades team to carry out the work.
Minor adaptations include:
• Drop-down rails
• Lever taps
• Modular ramping
• Temporary metal ramping
All requests for major adaptations come via the Local Authorities Occupational Therapist Service and will be considered in accordance with our Adaptations policy.
Major adaptations include
• Level access showers
• Large ramps
• Room extensions
However, it is not always possible for changes to be made to everyone's home. If we cannot adapt your home the Adaptations Team will discuss housing options with you to help you to find a home more suited to your needs.
Run by The Wrekin Housing Trust/Group, Trusted HandyHelp is available to anyone in Telford Shropshire and Staffordshire. We offer a reliable, quality service using our own professional, friendly and experienced Trusted tradespeople.
What we offer:
General household maintenance with a wide range of experienced trades covering plumbing, carpentry, electrical and gas works.
- This covers repairs varying from dripping taps, putting up shelves, repairing fencing, replacing light bulbs, fuse, plugs or gas servicing and maintenance. The Trusted HandyHelp service can even make up your flat packed furniture or cut the grass.
For more information or an appointment for our team to assess the work required please call 01952 217200 and to talk to the team.
Please click on the link on the right hand side of this page for further information http://www.trustedhandyhelp.org.uk/
What we offer:
• An 'assisted move' scheme for those who need to move urgently. This includes a packing and removal service and support to move.
• If you are over 55 you can apply to move into a Wrekin Retirement Living property, click here to find out more about Retirement Living.
• If you are over 55 you can also apply to move to into a ShireLiving property. See the link in the menu to find out more
• If you wish to remain in your home, we can also discuss the WATCH Alarm Service with you. Our WATCH Alarm Service provides assistive technology including pendant alarms, key safes and a 24-hour monitoring and response service across the community.
To find out more information on our Watch Alarm Service visit www.watchalarms.co.uk or call 01952 217151 for a free home demonstration.
If you are returning home from hospital and require minor adaptations to you home, or any of our additional services, please contact us to arrange a meeting for the date you are due to arrive home
The Group works in partnership with Shropshire Fire and Rescue Service to minimise the risk of fires occurring in the home. We carry out joint visits to our most vulnerable tenants, giving advice and assistance; checking smoke detectors are in working order and discussing exit plans if there was a fire in your home. This practical help and advice can save lives. If you are concerned about fire safety, for you or a vulnerable person, please contact the Adaptations Team on 01952 217128.
The Adaptations Team works in partnership with other organisations such as:
Local Authority Occupational Therapists (OT)
The Local Authority's Home Improvement Agency (HIA)
The Independent Living Centre (ILC)
Home from Hospital
Falls Prevention Clinics
Health and Wellbeing Clinic
Shropshire Fire and Rescue
Royal Voluntary service
Adult Social Care
Housing representation on Adult and Safeguarding Boards
It is essential that we are able to respond quickly to adaptation requests. We offer a same day response for minor works, but major work is generally more complex and will require a home visit to ensure that we are aware of all of your housing needs. We will also check if we are able to offer you any additional services that we feel you may benefit from.
If you have any further queries or would like to apply for an adaptation please get in touch with the Adaptations Team:
• Call: 01952 217128
• Email: email@example.com
• Write to: Adaptations Team, Old Park, Colliers Way, Telford, TF3 4AW.
• Visit any of our Trust/Group shops and local offices. Click here to see details on how to contact your local office.
Last Updated : 06 December 2019