Please contact the repairs line on 01952 217217 to report the repair.
It is your responsibility as the tenant to let us know if there is something wrong with your heating. If you have a gas leak or think fumes are leaking, please follow the instructions below;
- Contact National Grid on 0800 111 999 and open all windows to ventilate the property.
- Turn off the gas lever at the mains, which is next to the gas meter, by pulling the lever down
- Open all doors and windows to let in plenty of fresh air
- Check to see if the pilot light on your cooker, gas heater or boiler has gone out
- Make sure that you have turned off all gas knobs properly
- Do not touch any electrical switches including lights
- Do not light matches, lighters or smoke in the house
- Get everyone out of the house and stay out
- Put out cigarettes and any naked flames
- Avoid rooms with a strong smell of gas as they may be overcome by the gas fumes.
- Do not attempt to investigate or fix the problem yourself.
Please copy and paste this link for further information: http://bcove.me/yytkxu3s
The Trust uses both direct employees and sub-contractors to carry out gas repairs and annual servicing to gas appliances. All of our employees and sub-contractors carry Wrekin Housing Trust identification cards and wear The Wrekin Housing Trust uniforms.
How quick will someone come out?
if you have a gas leak or gas fumes – one hour (following a National Grid make safe)
We will respond to all gas repairs within 2 hours and our engineer will attend as soon as possible within this time.
We will advise you if we are unable to attend within this time.
What if my boiler stops working?
Before contacting the repairs line, please check the following:
- Is the fuse switch turned on under the boiler and wall thermostat adjusted to a higher temperature?
- If you top your meter up using a gas card, is there credit on the meter?
What happens if the repair cannot be carried out on the same day?
If there is a full or partial breakdown that cannot be rectified immediately, an adequate source of temporary heating and hot water will be provided depending upon the occupancy and size of your household. Our engineer will order parts and will book an appointment with you to fit the parts before he leaves your home, so you know exactly when we will be calling back.
Is there an out of hour’s service available?
An out of hour’s service is operational for any repairs that are needed outside of the normal contact hours.
Why does my boiler need servicing if it’s working fine?
Around 35 people die in the UK every year from carbon monoxide poisoning due to faulty gas appliances. By law, the Trust is responsible for making sure that gas fittings and flues are maintained in good order and all gas appliances are checked for safety in order to ensure this does not happen to our customers.
How often will the Trust service my boiler?
We are committed to visiting all properties every twelve months and will arrange for your central heating system to be serviced approximately six weeks before the service is due. Our dedicated service engineers will visit to check your heating system to make sure that it is safe and that any faults are repaired. If you have an oil boiler, this will be serviced every six months. This service is important for the effective operation of your system and you and your family’s safety.
Please note that our tradesmen may need to access your loft to service the flue.
Failure to provide access is a serious breach of your tenancy conditions. If you cannot make the appointment sent to you, please phone 01952 217259 to rearrange.
Will the Trust service my gas oven?
We are unable to service a tenant’s own appliance such as cookers or own gas fires fitted by the tenant as part of the annual gas safety check. However we will check that the appliance is safe, any defect will be reported to you and the appliance will be disconnected from the gas supply. If your gas fire is disconnected from the gas supply we will remove the gas fire and brick up the fireplace.
If you do wish to have your other gas appliances serviced, we are able to do this for a fee through our Trusted HandyHelp Gas Service. Please call 01952 217200 or copy and paste this link: www.trustedhandyhelp.org.uk for further details.
What service appointments are available?
We will send you a letter to notify you about the annual gas service at least five working days in advance. If you are unable to make that appointment, please contact the gas team on 01952 217259 to rearrange.
Please do not do the following:
- Never use a gas appliance if you notice a yellow or orange flame (except fires which displays this colour flame), soot or stains around the appliance
- Never cover an appliance or block the air vents
- Never block or obstruct any fixed ventilation grilles or air bricks
- Never block or cover outside flues.
Last Updated : 30 November 2016