You might also be interested in
If you want to improve your home, you must get our written permission before starting any work. Landlord's Permission forms are available from your local Trust shop or office, or by telephoning our customer contact centre on
For specific information about your property, contact your local Trust shop or office on 01952 217100.
Asbestos in your home
For your own safety, please use the link to check whether you have asbestos in your home before you carry out any DIY jobs.
The types of work you need to ask our permission for include:
- structural alterations
- external alterations and extensions
- internal alterations, fixtures and fittings including laminate or wooden flooring
- external works and external redecoration
- electrical or gas alterations
- home security
- windows and doors
Depending on the type of work you want to do, you may have to provide the following information before we can give permission:
- a detailed sketch plan showing the location and extent of work proposed
- neighbours' consent to the work proposed (if it affects your neighbours)
- pavement crossover application form (for driveways)
- a Building Regulations application form
- a form applying for planning permission
- a Gas Safe/Niceic registration certificate for gas or electrical contractors.
The work must comply with any conditions we set out in our permission, and must be done by competent tradespeople. We will inspect completed work to ensure it meets an acceptable standard. You will be responsible if you damage your home while doing the work.
You may be entitled to compensation if you leave the improvement in the property at the end of your tenancy. To find out more, please contact your local Trust shop or office when you are thinking about moving.
Aids and adaptations
If you have physical disabilities and need to have alterations done to your house to enable you to live in it more comfortably, then you can contact our Able Living Service who will discuss the options with you.